A Google webmaster account is way to verify ownership of your website and be able to request updates of your links that rerun in the Google search results to your visitors. To make a request to update links you will need to create a Google Webmaster account and make a request for the re-crawl (or re-index). Once your site ownership has been verified, you can choose to request a crawl or submit a sitemap via the Webmaster Tools interface to have the Google search results updated.
As the owner of your website, it is best practice for you to create and maintain this account so that you can maintain your own Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and have access to the console as needed.
- After you establish the account and the meta tag has been verified by a CivicPlus Support Representative, you have the option to submit a sitemap; otherwise, your website will begin to recrawl automatically after verification is complete.
Create an Account
- Navigate to the Webmaster site
- Select Sign In
- Enter your Gmail address
- Enter your Gmail password
- Select Next
- Search Console will display; your account with Webmaster now exists
Verify Ownership of Your Site
- Log into Webmaster Console
- Enter your website name into the text box
- Select Add a Property
- Navigate to Alternate Methods tab
- Select HTML Tag
- Copy and paste the meta tag and send it to CivicPlus Support
- Note: Your site must be live for this step.
- CivicPlus Support will configure the meta tag and ask you to press Verify when they are finished
- View Site Ownership Message when this process is complete
- Note: Once site ownership has been verified, it will automatically begin to recrawl and re-index.
Submit a Sitemap
- See this Google Search Console Help article for steps to build and submit a sitemap
- Click Crawl
- Click Sitemaps
- Click ADD/TEST SITEMAP (right corner)
- Type sitemap.xml
- Click Submit