Due to changes Apple made for mobile apps, CivicPlus is no longer able to develop and deploy customized, single apps for individual locations or entities.
Here are some important items to understand about the new CivicMobile app for Apple (iOS):
- This only affects the end users or citizens using Apple devices on the initial download.
- Since Google® has not implemented the same rule changes as Apple, we can continue to offer customized mobile apps on the AndroidTM operating system.
- While not desirable, the experience will be different for Apple device users and Android device users.
- For Apple device users:
- The new consolidated app solution will be a single app download called “CivicMobile,” which consolidates all CivicPlus mobile clients.
- Once the CivicMobile app is downloaded from the iTunes App Store, the Apple user will be asked to select the individual location or entity.
- Once selected, the user will see your community’s custom appearance and will experience the app as it was customized and developed for your municipality.
- The mobile app name will remain “CivicMobile” and will maintain the CivicMobile app icon, regardless of the individual location or entity selected.
The Impact to Push Notifications
- Push Notifications are only available on the consolidated app at this time.
Future Plans for a Customized Mobile Solution
Please know that CivicPlus is aware of your growing need and demand for a modern mobile application platform, and we remain highly committed to fulfilling this need. CivicPlus is taking the necessary steps to bring you and your citizens the next phase of our mobile platform. We realize this Apple rule change is not optimal, and we are aggressively shifting our focus to proactively build an enhanced future solution.
If you have any questions, please contact your Client Success Manager.